So you’ve just become a grandma (or grandpa).
Are you gazing at the little one, a little apprehensive about how to help? One of first challenges of motherhood is breastfeeding – so how up to date is your knowledge about lactation? Are you in need of a refresher course so that you can be an effective grandparent?
Take this lactation quiz for grandparents. Answer True or False.
- Mothers of baby boys tend to produce more milk than those who have girl babies. T/F
- The colostrum in the first hour after birth is more more nutritious than breastmilk at other times. T/F
- In cases of extreme needs, grandmas are able to breastfeed their grandbabies. T/F
- Babies can experience nipple confusion as a result of given a pacifier or fed by bottle, and therefore forget how to breastfeed. T/F
- Many countries in the world allow for paid maternity leave but the USA has no federal laws providing for this. T/F
- Women who breastfeed have a reduced risk of breast cancer, diabetes, heart disease and ovarian cancer. T/F
- Pain is the most common reason why mothers give up breastfeeding. T/F
- Mothers who breastfeed lose weight more quickly after birth. T/F
- Mothers of premature babies may not be able to produce adequate volumes of milk. T/F
- Breastfeeding may lower the risk of sudden infant death syndrome in the first year of your grandbaby’s life T/F
All of the above statements are true. If you have answered 8-10 correctly, congratulations! You are remarkably well-informed and an amazing support to your daughter, daughter-in-law and grandbaby.
If you’ve 7 or less correct answers, then you’d benefit from a concise lactation e-guide for grandparents which will be published soon. Sign up here if you’d like a copy!
Sweet dreams grandbaby!