Russian Beef Stroganoff
1 kg beef fillet (I’ve used cheaper cuts such as chuck steak or skirt steak)
2 oz butter (can substitute other oils)
1 can tomatoes (diced)
2 tablespoons tomato puree
300 gms mushrooms
¼ pint light sour cream
½ onion roughly chopped (I’ve used up to 2 large onions for flavor)
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
paprika to taste
Preparation time about 20 minutes, cooking time about 30 minutes
Serves 4 with a green salad, rice or brown bread
- Slice beef into thin strips. Dissolve bicarbonate of soda in about 2 table spoons of soy sauce (or hot water), work it into the meat with a little salt + black pepper. Leave aside for 30 minutes while you cook rice and make the salad.
- Heat large frying pan, add butter, fry onions till it slightly browns, then add meat until it turns colour.
- Add 1 tsp paprika. Stir
- Stir tomato puree, can of tomatoes, let it cook gently for 10 minutes
- Add sliced mushroom. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream add salt and pepper.